Give Money get Baby
Till four years ago, Sonu was the local electrician. Today, he is called ‘doctor saab' by most of the surrogates. He owns a three-storey house, a plot of land, a new Indica car and a second-hand Zen. His house is done in ceramic tiles and his bedroom on the second floor boasts a fancy music system, a refrigerator and wide-screen television. Sonu's job is to finalise the deal between surrogates and clients, and ensure the surrogates get their routine medical check-ups. He earns up to Rs1 lakh as commission for every successful delivery.
Besides, the company claims to know the best IVF specialists in town and can prescribe a specialist according to the client's need. “An IVF specialist needs expertise in various sub-branches of IVF. Being in the gynaecological business, we can judge a doctor's capability. It is as complicated as other surgical fields of medicine,” says Singh.
Surrogacy is a long process which starts with the counselling of the intended parents. Counsellors check the mental and financial stability of the person or the couple seeking surrogacy. The hunt for the surrogate mother begins after the legal matters are taken care of. The surrogate mother and client meet to finalise the deal. The surrogate undergoes a series of medical tests to rule out the possibility of any disorder and deficiency before she undergoes embryo transfer. If it succeeds, she is moved to a surrogate home with her children, where she lives till the delivery. She undergoes weekly check-ups in the first three months and fortnightly check-ups thereafter.
Doctors believe that surrogacy is increasingly becoming more acceptable for both the intended parents and surrogate mothers. Aamir Khan's public acceptance about his baby being born with the help of a surrogate mother also seems to have changed the surrogacy scene for good in India. Doctors of many major corporate hospitals such as Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and Fortis Hospitals recommend surrogacy as an option to childless couples.
* The surrogate mother has to relinquish all the paternal rights over the child once the amount is transferred. The birth certificate will be in the name of the genetic parents.
* Surrogate mothers should be in the age group of 21 to 45 years and should have children of their own.
* They should not attempt more than three cycles of IVF in their lifetime.
* Foreign couples seeking surrogacy should first register with their respective embassies.
Business of bearing
* Surrogacy consultants provide surrogates, IVF specialists, counsellors, boarding and lodging for the couple as well as surrogates, medical care, egg and sperm donors, and even arrange tour packages.
* A Caucasian donor charges $15,000. An Indian donor charges anywhere from Rs40,000 to Rs75,000 per attempt. For an egg donor, apart from her looks, her religion, education and medical history matter.
* Sperm donors charge Rs1,000 to Rs10,000, depending on their educational qualification.
* A surrogate mother is paid around Rs10,000 per month during pregnancy and Rs2.5 lakh to Rs3 lakh at the time of delivery.
* Surrogacy consultants get Rs1 lakh to Rs1.5 lakh per case as commission.
For more detail visit :- http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?programId=10350696&tabId=13&contentId=11699516&BV_ID=@@@